pragueBlog

2004-10-25  

Britain Speaks:

FICTIONAL PRESIDENT POLL
1. Homer Simpson - The Simpsons
2. Josiah Bartlet - The West Wing
3. Dr Frasier Crane - Frasier
4. Sgt Bilko - The Phil Silvers Show
5. Gil Grissom - CSI: Crime Scene Investigation
Source: Radio Times

Let's consider number four. I remember watching the Phil Silvers show many times - back when I lived for a spell in the UK. And that woz like a long time ago. I had heard of it before, and perhaps had even see it once or twice on cable in an even more distant time in history. But then I have a brain specially evolved for collecting and recollecting knowledge that will be of no use, and frequently a hindrance, in my daily life and career.

When I came back to the states, I remember asking lots of people, "ever heard of Sgt. Bilko? Phil Silvers? You know, old TV show?" Nope. Uh-uh. Wazzat?

This is just one of those things about the British. Phil Silvers was, in fact, funny. I suppose for the time he was even very funny. But it's amazing how he goes on and on, as the Lady said. We Still Love Lucy, but would we pick her in a straw poll of TV characters for President?

Old Phil, they never tire of him over there. And if the British empire and its dominions had lasted a thousand years, men would still be saying, "hey, which do you think was his finest episode?"

Steve | 22:27 |
links
archives