pragueBlog

2004-11-08  

I keep wanting to link to James Kunstler. I give you the Clusterfuck Nation Chronicle. Read the November 8 and 3 entries particularly. This semi-blog, updated once a week or so, comments on current events in light of his rather bleak view of the future which asserts that the age of cheap oil is rapidly ending. A random comment:
Speaking as a registered Democrat, I propose that a big reason John Kerry's campaign has been floundering for months has to do with the delusional thinking among rank-and-file grassroots Democrats. I'm thinking especially of my fellow fifty-something fellow hippies-turned-yuppies, who want to enjoy all the luxuries and conveniences of the cheap oil life, but believe like little children that it can continue without any sacrifices.

There's just such a couple who live a few blocks away from me. In their front yard stands a blue sign that proclaims "War is not the Answer." They have two SUV's in their driveway. Somebody really needs to inform that war is the answer if they want to enjoy a life of low-gas-milage-easy-motoring.

Kunstler is the author of one of the most influential books (for me) I've read: The Geography of Nowhere: The Rise And Decline of America's Man-Made Landscape. My copy has been much lent. You want to borrow it, let me know. You have to return it, though.


Steve | 18:25 |
links
archives