pragueBlog

2005-03-15  

thatnotsofreshfeeling: "1. the number one thing that doesn't come with a mac is spyware. . . "

Oh, rub it in. I am 48 hours into an epic battle to remove malware. I've never had this before! I've been good - firewall, antivirus, anti-adware and anti-spyware armaments in place. Two days ago some desktop search window installs itself (called "isearch" - beware) and starts popping up windows all over the place. Anytime I try to search Google I get multiple redirects to different unrelated sites. A joy.

I have now installed six different scanner tools (as one helper site puts, you need a "multi-prong approach") and the fucker is still there. I feel like I'm in a swamp battling a giant snake and each time I chop off part of it it grows right back. Die, die....

In my reading I have learned that the first few months of 2005 are shaping up to be a sort of spy and malware tsunami in the recent history of the net. If you don't have it now, it's only a matter of time, my friend. And get ready for key-stroke monitors. Enormous attack waves of spyware programs that copy your keystrokes as you enter passwords - yes, they are coming.

Mac and Linux users - sorry, but in the real, live business world we use Windows. I may not like it, but that's the way it is. So suggesting that one 'merely' switch platforms is wishful thinking. Now back to the battle.

Steve | 21:21 |
links
archives