pragueBlog

2006-06-18  

Jon Stewart on yesterday's Daily Show Global Edition: "Yesterday the US lost 3-0 to Czechoslovakia." There must have been numerous mentions of the game on US media. There must have been numerous mentions of the fact that the US lost to the Czech Republic. I know for a fact that there was much gnashing of teeth and renting of garments over the US performance. I will go so far as to say that I assume that for the most part this discussion concerned the 'Czech Republic'. None of that penetrated the skull of this great cultural sage who still calls it Czechoslovakia 15 years after the fact. Now - whatever the demographics of the show's US viewers - I wonder what percentage of them heard anything amiss? My money would be on less than 5%.

Steve | 13:05 |
links
archives